I LOVE pickles!!! Have you ever had a fresh crunchy pickle? I'm going to post up the blog on how to make it then chat about them after I taste my home grown pickles!
This pickle recipe is great for pickling cucumbers as well as a variety of other vegetables. That's right—you can make pickles out of cucumbers, cauliflower, green and red peppers, onions, green tomatoes, summer squash, baby ears of corn—lots of different vegetables can be pickled!
- Make a brine of 3/4 cup of pickling salt, 2 1/2 quarts of water, and 1/2 cup vinegar, heating to dissolve the salt and cooling before use.
- Slice, dice, chop or leave the pickles whole! Add them to the mason jars.
- You can also alternate layers of vegetables—small (3-4 inches long) whole cucumbers or large pieces of other vegetables—with layers of fresh dill in a large crock or ceramic bowl. For an extra kick, add hot red peppers and peeled garlic cloves.
- Pour brine over vegetables, and make sure you fill it all the way to the top with no air.
- Let this sit for 2 weeks. I have half my batch in the fridge and half on the shelf to see the difference in taste and processing times.
- When the two weeks is up, snack away!!!