Slow Cooker Tikka Masala
The benefits of spices and convenience of a crockpot make this recipe a winter win!
Total Time:8 hrs 15 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Servings: 6 Ingredients
● 5 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 3 lbs) (there are options via Iowa Valley Food Coop
● 1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
● 4 garlic cloves, minced
● 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
● 1 jalapeño, stemmed, sliced in half and seeds removed
● 1 (29 ounce) can tomato puree (I used my own canned stewed tomatoes and blended them)
● 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (I opted for a goats yogurt, make sure it's low sugar)
● 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
● 2 tablespoons lemon juice
● 2 tablespoons garam masala
● 1 tablespoon cumin
● 1/2 tablespoon paprika
● 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
● 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
● 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
● 1 3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
● 2 bay leaves
● 1 cup heavy cream (I opted for half coconut half almond milk)
● 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch (I used arrowroot)
● long grain white rice or basmati rice, cooked
● chopped cilantro, for serving
Something that I didn't do that I would highly suggest is steaming some vegetables for a side dish and pouring some of the sauce over them and eating it with this. There is also always the option to throw the vegetables into the crockpot but I didn't want to throw off the liquid in the crockpot if the vegetables gave out excess liquid.
In a large mixing bowl combine chopped onions, minced garlic, grated ginger, sliced jalapeño, tomato puree, plain yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, Garam Masala, cumin, paprika, salt, cinnamon, pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir until combine.
Pour half of sauce mixture into a large slow cooker then add in diced chicken followed then cover chicken with remaining sauce. Add in 2 bay leaves.
Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low heat for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
In a mixing bowl, whisk together milk and arrowroot, pour mixture into slow cooker and gently stir. Allow mixture to cook 20 minutes while you prepare the rice.
Remove bay leaves and sliced jalapeño and serve warm over rice and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.